100g unsalted butter, softened (plus a bit to grease the tin)
3 overripe bananas, mashed
3 tbsp dark rum
2 tsp Marmite
180g self-raising flour
25g ground almonds
1½ tsp baking powder
100g dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan). Grease a 2lb/900g loaf tin with butter and line with greaseproof paper.
- Blitz the banana, rum and Marmite in a food processor until smooth.
- Sift the flour, ground almonds and baking powder into a bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then gradually beat in the eggs, adding a tablespoon of the dry ingredients if the mixture starts to curdle.
- Carefully fold in the banana mixture and the rest of the dry ingredients, alternating between the two until everything is well combined.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean (a few crumbs are fine).